This module is for Grades: 9-10 Welcome
“Some critics will write 'Maya Angelou is a natural writer' – which is right after being a natural heart surgeon. “
– Maya Angelou
This quote is from Pulitzer Prize winning author Maya Angelou. She is famous for her poetry, novels and essays. But what does she mean by this quote? She is obviously a very gifted writer. Her message in this quote is that writing did not come naturally to her, these were skills she worked hard to learn and to improve. Great writers are not born, they work very hard at their craft. This is true for every student in school. First, you must learn the skills of writing and then it is up to you to improve upon these skills. Good writing skills are essential in today’s world.
In this module, you will write informative/explanatory text describing the role of selected individuals in world history.
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Write an informative text using a formal style, developing the topic with well-chosen information using an introductory paragraph, organizing a body of text that makes use of transitions, and including a concluding paragraph.
- Select and organize information to support the development of the topic identified.
- Develop a well-constructed introduction that presents the topic, central idea or concept.
- Develop the body of the informative or explanatory text.
- Write relevant, concise and effective conclusions that integrate key components of the explanation and provides reinforcement for the explanation.
WHST.9-10.2 – Write informative/explanatory texts, including the narration of historical events, scientific procedures/experiments, or technical processes.
- Writing Explanation